Monday, February 06, 2006

New Starter

I installed a new starter in the '67 cad, but it didn't fix the problem. It was a huge pain in the ass too...

I had to go buy a jack and jack stands since there were none at the house(I don't know where they went). I had to move my brother's '56 ford out of the way, which is a three-on the tree, and is missing the part that indicates which gear you are in, and having never driven a three on the tree it was pretty difficult to figure out where each gear was. Also the battery was pretty dead and it had a generator not an alternator, so I would charge the battery up and get it started and if I stalled it, I would have to charge the battery up to get it started again. The whole process was quite a pain in the ass.

Then, I had to move all the crap out of the garage, which really wasn't hard. And push the caddy into the garage, which was difficult, that sucker didn't want to move...the gophers had dug out all the dirt around the tires and effectively buried the car in about 5". We pulled it out of it's divot with Peter's truck, but it really didn't want to move (we only moved it about a foot, and Peter dug a pretty nice divot into the ground trying to pull it out). then we dug the dirt out from under the tires and filled in the divots to make a smooth pushing surface, it didn't really help even though the car was angled downhill we still had to push incredibly hard to get it to move. Then we couldn't get it over the lip of the garage and used Peter’s truck to push it in(using the plastic garbage cans as cushions...I think in the process we bent my bumper, which I'm pretty bummed about.)

Anyway, I got the starter installed and it didn't make the car go, so I'm onto the next part...fusible link or ignition switch.

No comments: