Monday, October 16, 2006

this weekend

OK, so this weekend, was all about electrical. Last week I got a fix-it ticket in SF for my tailights not working(I had forgotten to hit them to make them go), also the light above the license plate has stopped working as well, but when you tap on them they came back on.

Also Thursday night, we took the '67 eldo out for dinner. When I came out of the restaurant when it was dark, I backed out of my parking spot and noticed the backup lights were not working, in fact NONE of the lights on the back half of the car were working. not even the brake lights...Luckily, I got home without another fix-it ticket.

My dad came down to my house with his ohm meter to help me fix this stuff. The Porsche had corroded connections, so we cleaned them and I also replaced the bulbs. Those lights all seem to work now, but I need to go back in and put some anti-corrosion spray on the points of contact. I think when it rains the hatch does not protect from moisture as well as it should.

The Cadillac is a bit more of a mystery. The fuse had gone out for the parking lights, when I replaced that, they started working. But when I replaced the flasher fuse, and fuses for the stop lights and reverse lights(even though they looked OK), none of them started working. Then my dad was trouble shooting, and after reconnecting all the wires, not even the parking lights worked anymore. When I moved the car into it's proper spot in the driveway the right blinker did work, but that was it.

The electrical stuff in this car is a huge mess and really needs to be gone through with a fine tooth comb. There are a lot of workarounds and weird things from the person who "rebuilt" it.

No comments: