Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Paint Class - Day 32

Today I was back on the VW, new teacher, new instruction that it wasn't done yet, now I had to go into the door jams and sand the flaky old paint off that was still there. and get the guide coats bits that I missed yesterday off.

About an hour into the class I was put on a new car. There was a crappy beat-up Jeep Cherokee that had one small section of the drivers door sanded and filled with plastic filler. THe instructor said the filler was not covering enough area, that the dent was larger so we neeede to re-do the filler, and prime that area. Eventually the whole door would be painted. I sanded the area down with a DA and 150 sandpaper (we were out of 180) then mixed and applied the filler, cleaned up and waited for it to dry. then went over it with a cheesegrater, and an long board with 80, then 180 sandpaper. Then back over thesendscrates with a DA and 320 sandpaper. Taped the door up, sprayed the area with degreaser, and sprayed it with a coat of primer over the exposed metal and then another coat tover the whole area that was taped off (less than the whole door).



Luckily, the team next to me was spraying primer, so I got to use their gun, and didn't have to mix and clean and all that.

No comments: